Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Should students be allowed to bring their own device to school?



http://neatoday.org/2012/07/19/should-schools-embrace-bring-your-own-device/

I am in the middle of a project for my masters programs and one of the things that we were asked to do is discuss a couple of edtech tools that can be used in the classroom.  Before I chose my tools I found a real good article by Emma Chadband discussing whether or not schools should allow students to bring their own devices to begin with.  Their are two main issues that come to mind when faced with BYOD, the first issue is who will properly train the staff? and the second issue is the great divide.

While BYOD is great because it will allow students to have their own technology in the classroom, who will properly train the teachers themselves on how to properly implement it.  I for one am the type of person to figure it out on my own, but not all teachers are that tech savy.  The second issue is what Chadband called the "Great Divide" where some students will not have the technology or they will have the older version of a tablet/phone, which will then bring fear of being bullied or made fun of.

This article discusses how Shelly Burgess, a teacher in Ohio was very successful in implementing BYOD.  She recorded her lectures, and when students had questions during a class discussion, they could go and look at her lecture on their device if she was unable to get to them at that moment in time.  This is the type of example why I feel that BYOD should be allowed in schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment